Are you a new bearded dragon owner?
Is your thermometer accurately reading the temperature in your beardy’s enclosure?
You must get a great thermometer to ensure your temps are right in your reptile cage.
When the temperature is too cold or hot, it can hurt your pet.
We helped you out by searching all over and finding the best thermometer for a bearded dragon.
Read on for our reviews and guide below.
Thermometers In This Review
Bearded Dragon Tank Temperatures
The temperature of a bearded dragon enclosure varies depending on place and time.
The basking area is where most heat coming from your basking bulb is focused in the enclosure.
You’ll often see your pet under the heat lamp or heating device relaxing and absorbing energy here.
Ensure your temperature reading is accurate for the stage of life your pet lizard is in.
For a baby bearded dragon, the temp should be between 100° – 110° degrees F (38° – 43° C).
For an adult bearded dragon, the temp should stay around 105° degrees F (40° C).
Overall Enclosure Temperature
The overall proper temperature of the bearded dragon habitat should stay around 90° degrees Fahrenheit (32° C).
Remember, bearded dragons are hot weather creatures.
However, your reptile tank still also needs a hiding spot (cool spot) as a place for your captive reptile to cooldown.
This is often called a hiding spot because this where they would avoid predators in nature.
The correct temperature for this spot in your terrarium is between 70° – 85° degrees Fahrenheit (21° – 29° C) and can be checked with a temp gun.
At night, it’s suggested to turn off the heating lamp and let it get dark and cooler.
The temp varies here, but it should settle around 65° – 70° degrees Fahrenheit (18° – 21° C).
A ceramic heat emitter works great at night since they produce heat without direct light.
Reptile Thermostat Features
In this section, we go over some features you may want to consider when picking the right bearded dragon thermometer.
Most thermometers are pretty low in price, but knowing the temperature of your bearded dragon’s enclosure is an essential part of taking care of your pet.
You don’t want the thermometer to give inaccurate readings or break easily.
This may result in your beardie getting hurt.
Not all thermometers are made equally.
Some don’t read temperature with accuracy.
Even five degrees of difference can hurt a bearded dragon’s health.
All the products we picked are accurate, but be careful if you go looking on your own.
These thermometers run on batteries, but it’s important to know how long the battery lasts.
If you’re continually replacing expensive batteries, the cheap thermometer you bought may end up being quite expensive.
Fahrenheit Vs. Celsius
All thermometers on this list read Fahrenheit, but you may also want one that reads centigrade or Celsius.
Check the features for each product if this is a concern for you.
There are several reading methods thermometers use you may want to consider.
Each has its pros and cons.
Ambient – These thermometers sit in the place they measure, similar to an analog thermometer.
They’re straightforward to use but take time to settle into reading and can’t be moved a lot without losing the current temperature.
Probe – This method involves a stick called a probe inserted in the specific area to get a reading.
It can get relatively quick readings on specific places, including general air temperatures.
Infrared – This is the most advanced type.
It uses light to gauge the temperature.
They are considered very accurate, quick, and easy to use.
However, they’re more expensive, and they don’t read general air temperatures.
Review Of The Best Thermometers For A Bearded Dragon
In this section, we go through our picks for the best thermometers.
We look at the features and experience of using the products and help you decide which one is perfect for you.
Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge
This affordable reptile thermometer and humidity gauge by Zoo Med is reliable and easy to use.
It doesn’t feature many extra features, but it’s quick and easy to use, and its low price may make it the right one for you.
This is a probe thermometer, so it works by using a probe to gather quick reading from different places, including in water, if needed.
The digital display is not complicated to read, but it is a little small for those who have difficulty reading the small print.
It comes with a long-life battery.
However, the LR44 battery it requires isn’t as standard and is a little challenging to switch out when it does go.
The thermometer and relative humidity level readings are accurate when compared to other high-end models.
It also can flip between Fahrenheit and Celsius, depending on what you want.
- Reliable readings
- Easy to use
- It doesn’t take up a lot of space
- The battery lasts a long time
- May lose its accuracy as the battery loses power
- Suction cups may not work well
Zoo Med Repti Temp Digital Infrared Thermometer
- Great for Monitoring Basking Areas, Thermal Gradients, Incubation, and Hibernation Temperatures.
- Temperature measurement Range -28° to 230°F (-33° to 110°C)
- Min/Max Function
This medium-priced thermometer by Zoo Med uses infrared technology for fast checking of temperature in different places.
Using this thermometer is very easy.
All you need to do is point the product and press a button to read a specific place instantly.
Zoo Med’s display is effortless to read, and it also flips between Fahrenheit and Celsius as needed.
The smooth and quick use lets you check the different areas instantly to make sure the enclosure is just how your bearded dragon needs it to be.
They include the needed CR2032 Lithium cell battery when you buy the thermometer.
The battery should last a while, and it’s not hard to change these out.
It also includes a Min/Max function which lets you test ranges of temperatures.
- Very easy to use, easily used with any vivarium you have
- Quickly take readings from many areas
- Great value
- Accurate readings compared to more expensive models
- It does not come with clear instructions
- Does not measure ambient temperatures
Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun
- NOT FOR HUMAN: Temperature readings from these devices are inanimate objects. The measured temperature for humans or animals will be inaccurate
- BETTER ACCURACY: 12:1 D:S, meaning it can accurately measure targets at greater distances compared to most others; For best accuracy, the distance between the thermometer and object of measurement should approximately be 14.17 inches (36 cm)
- TARGET QUICKER: Measure surface temperature ranging from -58℉ to 716℉(-50℃ to 380℃), with 2 units ℉/℃ to choose; Response time: ≤500Ms; A built-in laser gives you the precision to hone in on the exact space you want to measure
Here’s a medium-priced temperature gun by Etekcity focusing on giving the best reading for an affordable price.
They designed the gun to be more accurate at greater distances than other infrared guns.
Its optimal reading distance is 14″ – 17″ inches.
Choose a reading from Fahrenheit or Celsius with a simple button push.
Its laser design helps it also gets a faster and more accurate reading.
The laser light also gives you a visual spot to see exactly where you’re aiming.
The screen is easy to read and backlit by a powerful 9-volt battery, which is also easy to change.
If you want to upgrade this gun, choose the Lasergrip 1022D for an even more reliable product.
- Long battery life
- Very accurate readings over a long time
- Backlit display
- Durable and reliable over years of use
- It’s larger than many thermometers
- 9-volt batteries are more expensive
Qooltek Mini Hygrometer Thermometer LCD Display Digital Temperature Humidity Meter Gauge
*Editors Pick* - We like this thermometer for its accuracy, small size, and affordable price. It's easy to use, simple, and effective.
The Qooltek mini thermometer may be the most affordable option on the list, but it’s excellent for use with reading the ambient temperature of the enclosure.
This thermometer sits or secures in the enclosure and stays there to read the temperature.
Its simple but easy-to-read display shows the humidity and the temperature in Fahrenheit only.
It uses two LR44 batteries, which are easy to access and change.
They do last a long time because this thermometer doesn’t require much power.
The small design is great for staying out of the way.
You just set it up and then check whenever you want to.
It requires almost no work on your part.
- Accurate for its size and price
- Affordable price
- Small size
- No on/off switch
- Only reads Fahrenheit
SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer for iPhone/Android
- Accurate: Premium sensing component with accuracy of ±3%RH, ±0.3°C / 0.5°F. Professional-grade components, assembled into devices you can trust. For even more demanding applications, the device is easily calibratable to a trusted reference, or try the SensorPush HT.w or HTP.xw for even greater out-of-the-box accuracy. Whichever SensorPush you choose, you'll enjoy reliable, quality monitoring of environmental conditions including air temperature, relative humidity, dewpoint and VPD
- Versatile: With its small, attractive design, the HT1 is at home just about anywhere: in a refrigerator, freezer, greenhouse, humidor, wine cellar, instrument case like guitar or violin, a piano, outside as a mini weather station, around the house monitoring a humidifier or thermostat in baby nursery, in the attic, basement, crawlspace, reptile tank, terrarium, plants in a grow tent, drying and curing, a chicken coop or egg incubator and more
- Flexible: Use the sensor and your phone via Bluetooth or add a SensorPush G1 WiFi Gateway (sold separately) for data and alerts via Internet. With a G1 Gateway, get updates and push notifications when conditions exceed min/max alarm settings anywhere, ask Alexa for updates, or view data on a computer in our web dashboard. Great for a vacation home, garage, server room, data center, ensuring a dog or other pets are safe in an RV (cellular hotspot required) or anywhere remote monitoring is useful
SensorPush’s thermometer is the most advanced and highest-priced one on our list.
The thermometer/hygrometer itself sits or attaches where you’d like ambient temperature read.
It’s very accurate and durable.
The fanciest feature is its linking up with the partner app on your iPhone or Android, allowing tracking of the temperature for the day.
Purchase multiple of these to place in different places in your enclosure, and the apps track them all in one easy place.
This is helpful for knowing how your lamp setup is working and if it’s getting too cold at night.
The thermometer also tracks up to 20 days of data, and the app can alert you to any problems in temperature occurring when you get in the Bluetooth range.
The battery lasts for over a year before you need to change it as well, even in extreme temperatures.
- Syncs up with phone app
- Alerts you when there are problems
- Long battery life
- Tracks 20 days of temperature and humidity data
- More expensive
- Requires setup through Bluetooth
We hope you enjoyed our list of the best thermometers for a bearded dragon.
Whichever one you decide, each one is a quality product and is a crucial part of your beardy’s setup.
Finding the right one is a big help in making your bearded dragon’s environment safe and happy for your pet!