Do you want to deck out your bearded dragon with the best and coolest gear?
Are you interested in taking your love of these oddly cute pets even farther?
There are quite a few things you need for your bearded dragon, and there are things you don’t need or can get by without.
These are things which may make your life easier and your pet even more interesting.
So you wonder: What are the best accessories for my bearded dragon?
The best accessories for bearded dragons fit into the following categories:
- Outfits for bearded dragons
- Hiding furniture
- Climbing furniture
- Water dishes
- Leashes and harnesses
Read ahead for examples of these accessories and our picks for the best in each category.
Outfits For Bearded Dragons
You may not think about bearded dragons as cute pets to dress up, but their mixture of fierce dragon-like looks with docile personalities makes it a blast.
While you may not want to leave your reptile dressed for long periods, it won’t hurt anything at all for you to dress it up when showing it off or taking pictures.
It’s just a part of loving your pet in your own way.
Finding outfits for your beardie isn’t as hard as you’d think it would be.
There are a shocking number of Etsy makers out there who’ll do it for you.
But there are also several options right on Amazon.
I like this HAICHEN TEC hoodie for reptiles.
- Size - Size S is suitable for lizards with body length between 4.3 - 5.2 inch.(11-13cm) and bust between 5.9-6.7（15-17cm）.Size L is suitable for lizards with body length between 5.5 - 6.3 inch.(14-16cm) and bust between 6.7 - 8 inch（17-20cm）
- Special Customized and Fabric Friendly for Lizard Skin - Made of polar fleece material It guarantees the composition of 100% polyester and also sufficient elasticity.Don't worry, the hoodie does not hurt the skin on the back of the lizard.
- Original Design - Cute,fashion and unique design lizard clothes will make your pet dragon become the focus of attention. It's perfect for walking, taking photos or attending parties.
It makes my little guy look tough.
Another option I like is this elastic, blue-checkered bow tie.
This is quite affordable and looks neat on the beardy.
- Size: Size S is suitable for lizards with 2.4''- 3.9''(6 - 10 cm)neck girth. Size M is suitable for lizards with 4.3''-5.9''(11-15cm)neck girth. Size L is suitable for lizards with 6.3''-7.9''(16-20cm)neck girth. IMPORTANCE - Please measure the neck size of your lizards correctly before placing order.
- Special Customized Fabric Friendly for Lizard Skin: It is made of quality cotton, guarantees the composition of 100% cotton and also sufficient elasticity.Don't worry, the Soft bowtie does not hurt the skin on the neck of the lizard.
- Fine Sewing Handmade: A cotton belt is sewed around the neckline in order to maintain the shape of the neckline.It is easy to wear or take off for your pets with stretchy elastic string. White collar for comfortable wear along with blue white checkered bow tie and decorative lace to show off your best friend's personality.
Note: We separated furniture into three different categories.
This section deals only with hiding furniture.
Furniture does a lot to make your beardy’s tank look complete, but it also helps them feel comfortable and happy.
Hiding furniture provides a place for the bearded dragon to hide, just as the name suggests.
Bearded dragons don’t hide as often as some other reptiles, but they still like to get out of the “public eye” when they feel like it.
Hide spots are typically cooler than the rest of the tank.
If your pet is feeling overheated, it may just go into one of the hiding pieces to cool down.
These hides come in many forms.
Some are as simple as a box, but if you want an upgrade from this, have a look at these favorites of mine.
This Zilla Shale Rock Den fits in with the bearded dragon’s natural rocky, desert feel, but still provides some shelter from the outside world and the light.
It’s made of tough material and lasts the tests of time.
- Rock formations that appear realistic inside the terrarium
- Satisfy your pet's desire to find a place to hide and cool down
- Provides and elevated platform for your pet to bask and warm up
Exo Terra’s Reptile Cave is another good example of a hiding piece.
This is extra large and will fit the entire beardy inside.
It provides a nice shady and protected spot for resting when your beardie has gotten enough light and heat.
A lot of people forget how bearded dragons are considered semi-arboreal.
They often climb objects in the wild and seem to enjoy it in captivity.
Ignoring this desire in your furniture choices won’t cause immediate problems, but your pet may not reach its peak happiness without ways to climb.
There are several types of climbing furniture pieces (hammocks in the next section).
When shopping, make sure the climbing furniture provides an easy path down, so the beardie doesn’t fall far and get injured.
Zoo Med’s Mopani Wood is tough, affordable and fun for the reptiles to climb on.
Place it near their hide furniture, and they may just climb right up on top of it.
It also blends in with the styles of several of the other furniture pieces and substrate you may end up with.
- Zoo Med Laboratories opani Wood
- A beautiful two color African hardwood for aquariums or terrariums
- One of the hardest and densest woods available; sinks immediately in aquariums and unlike driftwood, will not rot
The other main climbing piece you may want to provide is some rocks.
You could buy them online, or you could just find them outside.
Just make sure you clean them before putting them into your pet’s tank.
Hammocks are the iconic bearded dragon piece of furniture.
It provides a place to climb and a place to hang out (pun intended) while enjoying the heat and light.
Feel free to make your own bearded dragon hammock for cheap or look for one online.
You won’t go wrong buying from a trusted reptile company, and this Plenn-Plax extra large lounger is no exception.
This hammock has a rough natural look and durability to last for a long time and match a natural desert-style design for your beardie tank.
- COMFORTABLE FOR ALL CLIMBERS: Our Lizard Loungers provide a safe, fun, and interactive space for your reptile to climb around on! These handwoven, 100% natural seagrass hammocks allow your pet to self-regulate their temperature by moving closer or further from a basking light, when on an incline. They’ll know how high to climb!
- VERSATILE AND ADJUSTABLE MOUNTING: The provided 2.5” suction cups easily attach to glass, plastic, and acrylic terrarium walls. For a strong bond, please clean and wash suction cups with water before placing inside the habitat. Our Lizard Loungers can be placed at any height and location, providing an elevated vantage spot for your pet.
- KEEPING THINGS CLEAN: For optimal use and longevity, our Lizard Loungers should be spot cleaned on occasion. This prevents debris and dirt buildup on the natural seagrass fiber. Use a vinegar and water mixture on the lounger, spot clean where necessary, then immediately dry completely before letting your pet climb back on.
Accessories are simple or fancy.
A good water dish is a necessity to keep your pet hydrated.
But many people get away with using a shallow plastic container.
Honestly, it works just fine.
As long as you make sure the dish is small enough for the bearded dragon to climb into and not so deep, the water comes over its shoulders if it does climb in.
Then again, if you’re reading this article, you want only the best for your pet, not the basic.
When looking for a nice water dish, the Exo Terra water dish will match the style of your tank, last a long time, and just look great.
- Help your reptile feel at home with an Exo-Terra Granite Rock Water Dish
- Offered in a variety of sizes
- This poly-resin, heavy weight dish faithfully mimics the rock in his natural terrain while providing a generous pool of water
Take it to the next level and also add this Exo Terra waterfall.
It may not seem like a useful water dispenser, but bearded dragons are known to drink the droplets on the side of moving water such as this.
Leashes And Harnesses
Taking your bearded dragon out and about is a fun way to bond with your pet while tapping its natural curiosity.
But there are dangers involved in just letting it go.
Your pet may eat something it shouldn’t, be eaten by another animal, or escape and be lost.
So to protect your pet, you need a leash and harness to keep it safe.
There are three ways to pick a harness to use.
First, there’s the money-saver route.
In this route, you buy a cheap one or make your own.
This methods work fine, and you won’t be disappointed.
Then, there are the quality harnesses which work well.
These are ones like the RYPET adjustable harness.
This one works well and matches the size of your pet for extra security and comfort.
- 3 SIZE PACKS/SET: Our bearded dragon harness and leash set comes with small, medium and Large 3 size leather harness, great for your lovely small animal pets during its growing. Please refer size chart of the 2rd image before purchasing.
- COMFORTABLE & DURABLE MATERIAL: Our bearded dragon harness and leash set is made of soft handmade leather and nylon rope, non-toxic and tasteless, will not drag hurt to your reptiles skin, friendly to your pets.
- SAFE AND PRACTICAL FUNCTION: Our bearded dragon harness has been tested and tested repeatedly to give reptiles a good comfort during the leading process, two legs can put into the holes to prevent escape.
The final approach involves embracing your reptile’s unique looks and finds a harness to match it.
For these, look on ETSY or Amazon for truly unique designs.
One of my personal favorites is the KHLZ US leather dragon wings harness.
Your beard already looks like a dinosaur, and “dragon” is right in its name.
You might as well embrace the interesting look and have a built-in conversational starter.
- 【Enjoy Roaming Time】The distinctive and adorable design makes you and your lizard look extraordinarily bright and unique when walking, give your lizard most popular gift.12
- 【Comfortable Fabric】Made of soft leather, protect reptile’s skin and looks vivid. The metal ring of the chest strap is hided in the leather wings, will not touch your reptiles that making them uncomfortable.
- 【Quality Material】Using durable and lightweight nylon rope, stainless steel swivel link and aluminum buckle, that are all non-toxic and animal-friendly.
While traveling with your bearded dragon is possible, you may want to avoid moving it too drastically too often.
The stress is hard on its body.
But you’re going to need to transport and travel with your pet some, even if it’s just to take it to the vet.
Taking a bearded dragon somewhere isn’t as simple as setting it on your lap while driving or leaving it in any old cage.
These animals are sensitive to changes and need a high temperature to stay healthy.
This is why we recommend a quality carrier for those instances when you need to go somewhere.
One interesting option is a cat carrier.
These are often meant to keep the cats insulated and calm by blocking out all the motion it’s going through.
These same qualities are good for bearded dragons.
You may want to get the Pet Magasin cat carrier if this interests you.
Substrate or bedding isn’t a strict necessity for bearded dragons.
It’s possible to get away with just a bare tank bottom.
But this isn’t very exciting to look at.
Even worse, your pet’s droppings will be harder to clean up.
On top of this, bearded dragons are used to burrowing in the wild.
This is why you may want to consider getting bedding for the bearded dragon’s tank.
Newspaper and reptile carpet will help with the cleanup issue, but they don’t always make the tank look nicer.
And the bearded dragon can’t burrow into it at all.
- Bio-degradable enzyme reduces odors
- Absorbent, non-abrasive material that will not irritate reptiles
- Safe - cannot be ingested
Getting a better material like these Zilla Reptile walnut shells is one of the best choices.
- Creates a natural and attractive desert environment
- Excellent heat conductor
- Stimulates natural digging and burrowing behavior
Beardies can dig into it, the material makes cleanup easier, and it has small disinfecting properties to prevent the spread of disease.
Another interesting substrate option is sand.
It may seem logical how desert creatures would prefer sand as a substrate.
Read more about the best substrates for bearded dragons.
And they do seem to like the ability to bury themselves in it.
This Zoo Med sand option is a popular and affordable one.
The biggest issue to watch for with sand as a substrate is with young bearded dragons.
They tend to consume sand as they eat their food.
If they eat too much, they could get impacted which can lead to many issues.
And if your pet seems to go out of their way to try and eat sand check out our post on why bearded dragons eat sand to learn about ways to fix this issue.
For young beardies, you may be better off using a newspaper or reptile carpet until they’ve grown and developed their digestive tracts.
Learn more about the best sand for bearded dragons.
Bearded dragons have picky heating needs.
They need a basking spot of 105° – 110° degrees Fahrenheit (40° – 43° C) with an overall tank temperature of 95° degrees Fahrenheit (35° C).
The cool side of the tank may drop down to 85° degrees Fahrenheit (29° C).
This high temp requirement is one of the most important habitat pieces you need to get into to place.
A good thermometer will go a long way in helping you make sure everything is just as it should be.
Technically, you could get away with a simple internal tank thermometer hanging against the side of the tank.
This would give you the overall temperature of the tank.
But you wouldn’t know for sure about the basking spot or cooler side of the tank.
Our recommendation is at least two thermometers.
First, use a good thermometer/hygrometer combo like the digital Reti Zoo thermometer.
- Accurate measure temperature and humidity in vivariums, hatchers, brooders, propagators, etc
- Digital display and easy to read on clear LCD screen, two modes of mounting the suction cup make you can put the thermo-hygrometer on the front or side glass of terrariums as your request.
- Easy to install: suction cup can be adsorbed firmly on the side or back of the terrarium
Put this in the middle of the tank along the side to get a read on the overall temperature and humidity of the tank.
Secondly, use a digital direct thermometer or thermometer gun to check the temperature of specific spots.
With this, spot check the basking spot and cooler side to make sure they’re in range.
Etekcity’s lasergrip infrared thermometer gun is a good, affordable option for just such a use.
- NOT FOR HUMAN: Temperature readings from these devices are inanimate objects. The measured temperature for humans or animals will be inaccurate
- BETTER ACCURACY: 12:1 D:S, meaning it can accurately measure targets at greater distances compared to most others; For best accuracy, the distance between the thermometer and object of measurement should approximately be 14.17 inches (36 cm)
- TARGET QUICKER: Measure surface temperature ranging from -58℉ to 716℉(-50℃ to 380℃), with 2 units ℉/℃ to choose; Response time: ≤500Ms; A built-in laser gives you the precision to hone in on the exact space you want to measure
Take a look at the other best thermometers for bearded dragons.
You certainly don’t need toys to play with your bearded dragon, but why do you have one as a pet? Just to say you have one?
These reptiles don’t “play” in the same sense a dog or cat would, but there’s still a lot out there to do with them.
Small balls are common for bearded dragons to play with.
They like to chase and climb on them.
There’s a lot of fun to be had watching them chase after the ball when you roll it by them.
Make sure the ball can’t be broken up easily and choked on.
One great ball option is the small balls for dogs or cats with space inside for treats or food.
Stick a few bearded dragon treats or insects inside and watch it hunt for its food.
The bearded dragon will appreciate the natural hunting and tracking down its food.
For some reason, bearded dragons also like to play with crumpled up paper like a newspaper.
Whether it’s the sound or texture, this is a free option for bonding with your pet.
One final trick is burying treats in the substrate of your bearded dragon’s tank.
The reptiles like to find their food.
Warning! Make sure the food you bury isn’t there for a long time.
Insects may bite at the beardy, and greens may rot.
We hope you enjoyed learning about the best accessories for your bearded dragon.
It’s possible to get away with cheaper versions of many of these, but getting them will show your true dedication to these awesome pets.